Not sure if I believe in all the Paleo diet stuff, but I am trying to eat less processed foods. So far it seems as though the Paleo “genre” has the simplest recipes.
I guess that should be obvious, given its supposed to imitate “living off the land” as our ancestors (like, in the Walks With Mammoths age) probably didn’t have a Kroger nearby. Meats, fruits, nuts, veggies, tubers—all that pre-agriculture jazz. Also, apparently, pre-cow nipple squeezing.
Turns out cave peoples’ fingers weren’t nimble enough to get the nips. And that they’d rather have just bludgeoned the cow.
As I said, I wouldn’t consider myself a Paleo person, so I don’t think I’ll be doing away with everything that came after agriculture. However, I DO want to be in and out of the kitchen ASAP with as little processed food as possible. (Turns out it’s piles and piles sugar that gives processed foods their tastiness. They also give, when consumed at the rate North Americans typically do, a number of illnesses and are linked with the very obesity the nation is supposedly “at war with.”)
I’d prefer a life less sweetened with sugar, and more with love and experiences—even if I have to cut out most of what makes Halloween Halloween.
There’s one meal I’m really looking forward to making:
Ingredients: Ground Beef, Coconut Oil, Onions, Salt, Pepper and Red Bell Pepper.
- Slice onions.
- Put coconut oil on pan, turn up the heat, then add the onions.
- Add the ground beef to the pan.
- Add some salt and pepper to taste, then fry until ready.
- Consider serving with a sliced red bell pepper.
And to close it all up, here’s a list of Paleo folks’ dietary lists. As I said, I couldn’t see myself going full Paleo, but I love the lineup they’ve got going on here. Maybe it’s right for you?
- Meats: Beef, lamb, chicken, turkey, pork and others.
- Fish and Seafood: Salmon, trout, haddock, shrimp, shellfish, etc. Choose wild-caught if you can.
- Eggs: Choose free-range, pastured or Omega-3 enriched eggs.
- Vegetables: Broccoli, kale, peppers, onions, carrots, tomatoes, etc.
- Fruits: Apples, bananas, oranges, pears, avocados, strawberries, blueberries and more.
- Tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, yams, turnips, etc.
- Nuts and Seeds: Almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, hazelnuts, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and more.
- Healthy Fats and Oils: Lard, tallow, coconut oil, olive oil, avocado oil and others.
- Salt and Spices: Sea salt, himalayan salt, garlic, turmeric, rosemary, etc.